Re: [ietf-dkim] How mailing lists mutate messages

2006-01-27 07:24:39
I do not think that Yahoo 'does' DKIM at all. They are using DK. In my
naivety I thought that DKIM was supposed to be the next step and
replacement for DK, so I wonder why Yahoo et al are still only using
the older DK.

You are right that DKIM is the next step beyond DK.

Since so many folk track what we do, and adopt as we adopt, we think
it would be irresponsible to switch to DKIM as it is today, then DKIM
as it is in 3 months and DKIM as it is in 6 months, etc. Jerking
around the many thousands of domains that have adopted DK and
presumably will adopt DKIM would likely cause more harm than good.

In short, we need to be sure that the WG is close to a consensus on
what DKIM is, then the plan is to switch with a likely large overlap
period. In fact, this is a matter we've discussed with some of the
high value DK senders, and they helped shaped this strategy.

The other more selfish reason is that we're talking a lot of
infrastructure here, testing and deploying is a non-trivial exercise
that one does not want to repeat simply because a bit was flipped in,
say, the signature specification.

Mark.