Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: New Issue: Threat-00 Limiting the scope of trust

2006-02-14 16:47:12

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Otis" <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org>
To: "Hector Santos" <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>

An association of the HELO with that of the signing-domain indicates
the message envelope is being obtained first hand.  The HELO is not
analogous to that of a postmark, the received header added by a
recipient would provide a better comparison to that of a postmark.

Which is associated with EACH hop or client domain machine transporting
the message.  If you have X Received, it tells the story of the
sequenced processing, including the HELO machines.

But I don't need to look into the payload (letter) to find out at the
HELO level (postmark) if its valid or not.

In short, an invalid HELO means everything else invalid. It would be
illogical to suggest that the letter might be still "ok" if the postmark
is invalid.  Does it exist?  Sure, broken software and no incentive to
correct it - hence the relaxation and the exploitation.

Put another way, you must have a valid CDN before CSV/DNA can even have
chance of being reliable and if you agree this is true, then the
opposite is true as well.  Invalid CDN promotes a rejection and nothing
else really matters in a post-legacy world where there is a new level of
expectations.

Look Doug, it is obvious this is yet another clear indication of the
separation of the philosophies - one administration oriented, the other
more system process oriented.  The problem is that administrative ideas
(as you are suggesting it) are not compatible with existing practice.

Your push for CSV/DNA (which I expect will be increasing now in a "Phase
II" now that DKIM sans SSP has been "pre-standardized") is clearly
trust.   I, on the other hand, is simply suggesting that before you can
ride the bike to see if it will win you a race, your spokes, gears,
tire, brakes, and possibly seat is expected to be working order.  Just
because it a "branded" item doesn't mean it does not have quality
control problems.

http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html