Re: [ietf-dkim] Supporting alternate algorithms

2006-02-22 01:07:43
Ned Freed wrote:
The problem here isn't that someone could configure the use of some
random
signature algorithm and still remain compliant, but rather that
someone can
write an implementation which supports generation of neither SHA-1 nor
SHA-256
signatures and still be compliant. As such, I suggest making support
for SHA-256
on generation a MUST and SHA-1 a SHOULD. Both SHA-1 and SHA-256 need
to be
a MUST for verifiers.
As my colleague Jim Fenton is fond of saying, I am reticent to impose
restrictions on verifiers.  The issue here is how much they wish to
trust SHA-1, and there's no need for the IETF to dictate to them on this
count, and there should be no need for us to update the document when we
want to pronounce SHA-1 dead.  That to me therefore rates a MAY.  Just
as Phil mentioned in another note, we're pretty close to a green field
here.  Had it been otherwise I might consider a SHOULD.

Eliot
http://dkim.org/ietf-list-rules.html