Re: [ietf-dkim] Core algorithm support/use, draft text v2

2006-02-27 17:22:57

On Feb 27, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

Given that, I think that we should either:

1. Require SHA-1 and SHA-256 verification support and recommend
   signatures with SHA-1.

2. Require SHA-1 and SHA-256 verification support and recommend
   (require?) signatures with SHA-256.

3. Require SHA-256 support and forbid SHA-1 in both generation
   and verification.

Option (3) seems like overkill. I don't have a strong opinion between (1) and (2), but probably lean towards (2) on the grounds that it's better to use something that we don't know has problems, even probably irrelevant ones.

Agreed. When recipients rely upon DKIM for an assurance of the source domain for a message, improving the success rate of phishing attacks may make dedicated hardware or distributed botnet computing both a practical and relevant means to exploit these weaknesses.

It is also equally important to be concerned about DNS security. Executing hundreds of DNS queries in series, dictated by a foreign entity, seems insecure. Yet many are currently suggesting DKIM be done in conjunction with this practice.

-Doug