Re: [ietf-dkim] Core algorithm support/use, draft text v2

2006-02-26 23:52:50
Dave Crocker wrote:
My proposal for language to cover supported text was confounded by
suggesting some alternative language.  Discussion since then has
frequently expressed agreement with my text, but even I am not sure
what exact text folks are agreeing with.  I also think that Ned's
point about the benefit of citing sender-side support, versus what is
actually sent, is significant.

Based on all that, here is what I think reflects groups consensus.
Those agreeing should say something simple, like "agree".  Those
disagreeing, should say something simple, like, "I proposal the
following alternate text...".

Here goes:

   A validator MUST support {SHA-1, SHA-256}.

   A signer MUST support {SHA-1, SHA-26}.  A signer SHOULD use
{SHA-256} for its higher security strength. However a signer MAY use
{SHA-1}, such as for compatibility with an installed base, lower
computational cost, or easier implementation effort.

Consensus?
[Just back from vacation, otherwise I would have chimed in earlier.]

I presume that the syntax {x, y} means "x and y".

I have read the discussion on "implement" vs. "use".  A signer could
follow the recommendation and use SHA-256 all the time; in that case why
MUST it implement SHA-1?  On the signing side, what's implemented makes
a difference if an algorithm is being negotiated, but there is no
negotiation here.

The word "However" in the next sentence makes it sound like SHA-1 is to
be used as an alternative to SHA-256.  This would have to be the case if
the motive is computational cost or implementation effort [is that
really a consideration?].  But compatibility would be maximized by the
inclusion of both signatures.

I propose the following alternate text:

Signers MUST use SHA-256.  A signer MAY additionally sign with SHA-1 for
compatibility with an installed base or to provide lower computational
cost for verifiers that wish to use it.

Verifiers MUST be capable of verifying signatures using SHA-256.
Verifiers MAY verify signatures using SHA-1 for compatibility with a
legacy installed base of signers or to provide lower cost verification
when a SHA-1 signature is included.

-Jim