Re: [ietf-dkim] Core algorithm support/use, draft text v2

2006-02-25 15:40:03

On Feb 25, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

My proposal for language to cover supported text was confounded by suggesting some alternative language. Discussion since then has frequently expressed agreement with my text, but even I am not sure what exact text folks are agreeing with. I also think that Ned's point about the benefit of citing sender-side support, versus what is actually sent, is significant.

Based on all that, here is what I think reflects groups consensus. Those agreeing should say something simple, like "agree". Those disagreeing, should say something simple, like, "I proposal the following alternate text...".

Here goes:

   A validator MUST support {SHA-1, SHA-256}.

A signer MUST support {SHA-1, SHA-26}. A signer SHOULD use {SHA-256} for its higher security strength. However a signer MAY use {SHA-1}, such as for compatibility with an installed base, lower computational cost, or easier implementation effort.

Consensus?

agreed (modulo someone at IESG telling us that there's something
better to standardise on than SHA-256).

(although I might word the second paragraph "SHOULD use SHA-256,
MAY use SHA-1" rather than requiring them to support one or the other.)

(On a more general note. I'm not convinced it makes any sense at
all to specifically require a signer to support anything in particular.
It's one of those cases where validator support is the important thing.
Causes no harm, though, it's just redundant.)

Cheers,
  Steve