Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: review of threats-01

2006-03-20 09:45:45

On Mar 19, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

S 1.1:
Please expand the term "AU" before use in this figure.

S 2.3.2:

   Bad actors in the form of rogue or unauthorized users or malware-
   infected computers can exist within the administrative unit
corresponding to a message's origin address. Since the submission of messages in this area generally occurs prior to the application of a
   message signature, DKIM is not directly effective against these bad
   actors.  Defense against these bad actors is dependent upon other
   means, such as proper use of firewalls, and mail submission agents
   that are configured to authenticate the sender.

I think this understates the risk. Because the attacker directly controls the compromised computer, he has access to all the user's authentication credentials and therefore firewalls and mail submission are ineffective against this attack. The attacker can simple emulate the user's MUA and send through the MTA.

The risk within the AU might also mean individual systems submitting messages, rather than the signing MTA itself. Each MTA should utilize a unique key to track problems related to compromised signing systems. If the compromise is that of user authentication, then that would represent yet another type of attack. The area where DKIM can also help is in locating compromised user systems by third-parties for reporting/blocking purposes. This tracking ability would be another advantage that could be afforded by DKIM. The last point is not a minor concern as this represents a substantial avenue for abuse.

S 3.2.

   differences in popular typefaces.  Similarly, if example2.com was
   controlled by a bad actor, the bad actor could sign messages from
   bigbank.example2.com which might also mislead some recipients.  To
   the extent that these domains are controlled by bad actors, DKIM is
   not effective against these attacks, although it could support the
ability of reputation and/or accreditation systems to aid the user in
   identifying them.

Actually, the attacker doesn't need to control the domain he's forging mail from, as long as the domain owner doesn't represent that he signs his messages. Yes, there's an argument to be made that the messages in question will not otherwise pass through your content filters, but that needs to be explicitly stated if that's your theory.

A filter will not be likely to block this type of exploit, but message annotation helps.

S 3.2.3.

   Another motivation for using a specific origin address in a message
is to harm the reputation of another, commonly referred to as a "joe-
   job".  For example, a commercial entity might wish to harm the
reputation of a competitor, perhaps by sending unsolicited bulk email on behalf of that competitor. It is for this reason that reputation
   systems must be based on an identity that is, in practice, fairly
   reliable.

I don't buy this argument. Say that I were the owner of "example.com" which has a strict (always sign) policy and I decide I want to spam. I simply use some other domain (e.g., example.net) which doesn't have that policy and send spam pointing to example.com. When people claim that I'm the spammer I say "hey, it's not signed. must be a Joe Job". So, given this obvious mechanism for preserving plausible deniability, it seems to me that an attacker who wants to damage my reputation would do exactly the same thing. So, it's not clear how signing helps here.

This argument assumes that DKIM signature are used as a basis for acceptance. Without a method to correlate the signature with the signing system. Sender-ID allows too much network amplification. This leaves perhaps HELO and PTR associations as an alternative. There are two problems for DKIM being used for acceptance even after vetting the name with a reputation service. One would be a bad actor sending themselves messages and the other would be a competitor abusing a promo and sending it to wrong, but influential, people to ensure they become blocked. Of course, that would assume the reputation service combines the message envelope with the message for making an assessment, which would not be proper. Without message envelope correlation, DKIM does not offer much value for accepting email except in a few cases. Those few cases may then become plump targets.

4.1.12.  Falsification of Key Service Replies

   Replies from the key service may also be spoofed by a suitably
   positioned attacker.  For DNS, one such way to do this is "cache
   poisoning", in which the attacker provides unnecessary (and
   incorrect) additional information in DNS replies, which is cached.

   DNSSEC [RFC4033] is the preferred means of mitigating this threat,
but the current uptake rate for DNSSEC is slow enough that one would not like to create a dependency on its deployment. Fortunately, the
   vulnerabilities created by this attack are both localized and of
   limited duration, although records with relatively long TTL may be
   created with cache poisoning.

I'm not sure why you say that the vulnerabilities are "both localized and of limited duration." This may be true for cache poisoning, but it's less true for name server hijacking or impersonation. Given that we know that spammers hijack BGP blocks, this seems like a substantially more serious threat than you imply.

Another aspect of this problem comes from various corporate recommendations on the use of Sender-ID in conjunction with DKIM to abate a message replay problem. Sender-ID however greatly facilitates DNS and network attacks. HELO verification and DKIM- Domain PTR EHLO association lists do not threaten DNS or the network and yet provides the same protections from replay abuse. (Envelope and message correlation.)

-Doug