Re: [ietf-dkim] 1193 considered harmful

2006-03-22 12:59:53

On Mar 22, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Arvel Hathcock wrote:

> You (Mike) clearly see this as more of a problem than I do.  The
> compatibility I want to be careful to maintain is this:
>
> 1. Continue to be able to use existing DNS records.

Yes. That is my position also. The most important thing to protect are the existing thousands of DK selectors currently in use.

Extending the q=dns to q=dns,dns-b could be a method to indicate the presents of a binary version of the key RR is available without immediately depreciating use of TXT keys, for example. Both the change of the hash function and the sequence of the hash function allows upward changes, while still being able to handling messages from prior versions. In the case of DNS RR, there could be additional information only available in the binary version.

-Doug