Re: [ietf-dkim] 1193 considered harmful

2006-03-22 12:41:58
Russ Housley wrote:
Dave:

This topic was addressed at great length during development of the DKIM charter, which says:

   Experimentation has resulted in Internet deployment of these
   specifications. Although not encouraged, non-backwards-compatible
   changes to these specifications will be acceptable if the DKIM working
   group determines that the changes are required to meet the group's
   technical objectives.

If changes are needed, make them! Be aware of the backward compatibility issues, but this cannot be used to stifle discussion or innovation.

Define "needed". If the standard of "needed" is "required to make
the protocol viable", then this is not "needed". If "needed" means
"anything we feel like changing, we can change", then the words in
the charter are meaningless.

                Mike