RE: [ietf-dkim] 1193 considered harmful

2006-03-22 18:42:05

[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave Crocker

Russ Housley wrote:
  > Not exactly.  I do not want to see backwards
compatibility raised as the
sole reason for objecting to something.  I offered one way
to approach
this.  There are clearly other acceptable ones.

So incompatibility is somehow a lesser status than any other
sort of concern?

Incompatibility is a very serious concern, however at the point that one
incompatible change in a module has been accepted it is a weak argument when
made against a proposal to make another change.

In such circumstances it seems very reasonable to ask for more
justification.

I think that in this particular case it is clear that we should argue the
case on the merits. As I and others have observed there are very powerful
arguments in favor of this change, I would like to hear if anyone has an
argument against.