Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP - Sender Signing [Policy | Practice | Profile] or DSP - Domain Signature Profile

2006-03-26 00:36:01
Hector Santos wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Fenton" <fenton(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: <arvel(_dot_)hathcock(_at_)altn(_dot_)com>

Hector wrote:
If there is going to be a SSP renaming consideration, may
I suggest "Profile" instead of Practice?

Arvel wrote:
Another possibility is "Preferences" maybe?

I'd prefer a word that is descriptive of what the signer does, rather
than making a request of the recipient.

I don't understand the last part of this sentence? Can you elaborate?

Sorry; I reread my comment and it was rather terse.

I don't pretend to understand all of the issues (particularly the legal
ones in some jurisdictions) but there is apparently concern in some
places about policies that suggest that some messages (even spoofed
ones) not be delivered.  For that reason, I have been favoring terms
that are descriptive of what the originator's domain does rather than
terms that suggest some action on the part of the verifier.  I think
"Preferences" is in the latter category.

Hope this is clearer.

-Jim