RE: SSP RR vs TXT [was Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP and o= values]

2006-03-27 22:17:50
The statement made by Microsoft was that none of the Microsoft DNS servers
have the ability to publish new RRs without breaking the administration
model completely. In particular they have no administration tool for
entering the RRs and no way to save them out.

It is possible to enter RR values into the database by non standard
administration interfaces but not by a method that survives a reboot.

Given the amount of disinformation and the refusal of the DNS group to
accept the statements made by Microsoft then I am not too inclined to accept
heresay statements on the subject now.

For deployment of a new RR to be possible it must be supported to production
quality for the platform concerned. On the windows platform that means that
it has to be possible to enter the RR through the standard administrative
interface.

There are a few changes in Windows 2003 R2. In particular the server can be
configured to allow through DNSSEC records from other DNS servers and to
accept zone transfers for unsupported records. I am unable to find a
description of how to enter an unsupported RR through either the command
line or GUI.

On the plus size the default UDP packet size is 1260 bytes, not 512. If we
are all so confident that new RRs will work then why does everyone (Olafur
included) pay such strict attention to this particular limit?

I think that what we are seeing here is more wishful thinking by people who
are not going to be damaged by the consequences. If they can get us to make
DKIM dependent on deployment of the infrastructure necessary to support new
RRs then they don't have to do that job.

  _____