Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: get rid of x=

2006-04-06 17:29:09
Paul Hoffman wrote:
Greetings again.

---------------------

Rationale:
DKIM permits a signing domain to assert responsibility for a message. Saying "I only take responsibility for sending the message until this time, and then I don't take responsibility even though I previously took responsibility" makes little sense in the real world.

Is there *any* signature by way of its underlying credential that
doesn't have a lifetime?

DKIM is intended to have a transport duration lifetime, eg about
2 weeks. It is not intended to be used for archival purposes or
anything else like that. Like it or not, rolling keys is hard for
a significant set of people who might benefit from DKIM. Saying
that the only way that they can limit their exposure from otherwise
immortal signatures is by revisiting their DNS every few weeks is
unnecesarily burdensome on those operators. x= is a cheap way to
achieve that goal.

Note that the informative note only says what x= is not. Leaving x= in can also lead to silly states.

What states might those be?

                Mike