Re: [ietf-dkim] x= lets senders expire responsibility

2006-04-14 11:25:53
Dave Crocker wrote:

Bill(_dot_)Oxley(_at_)cox(_dot_)com wrote:

I suspect in the real sysadmin world changing keys every week probably
isn't going to happen :-)

Given the intended use of DKIM and given the current state of DNS administrative tools, what do folks think *is* a realistic expectation (and recommendation) for the lifespan of a key, for a typical email operation?

In other words, given the pragmatics, how often is reasonable an appropriate for changing keys?

I don't want to put words into Arvel's mouth, but my read of his users experience is that you struggle to get the keys into the DNS once and hope that you never have to struggle with it again. I think his base is mostly small/medium business.

For larger business and maybe ISP's even, our anecdotal experience at Cisco is that our messaging and DNS folks don't have mich to do with one another (changing mx records is not a ordinary event). Thus to achieve key rollover, you'd need to create linkages between the groups and their software that didn't exist before. Which is to say, a very slow process for the motivated, and a non-process for
the unmotivated. Maybe SPF has helped here, but I doubt it.

      Mike