Re: [ietf-dkim] dkim-base-01: 6.2 - DNS error

2006-04-18 10:58:59
On 04/14/2006 10:36, Hector Santos wrote:
In section 6.2 "Get The Public Key, we have step #2

|   2.  If the query for the public key fails to respond, the verifier
|       SHOULD defer acceptance of this email (normally this will be
|       achieved with a 451/4.7.5 SMTP reply code).

This assumes dynamic SMTP level operational (DATA call out) implementation.
In my view, this is the ideal and the prefer mode of DKIM operation.

But what about post SMTP/transport DKIM implementations?

This requires mail acceptance and DNS query errors/rejections can promote
bounce attacks.  This dilemma also promotes unreliable mail
delivery/notification practice (dropping mail rather than take chance
bouncing mail as required by SMTP).  This is a tough one, hence why there
is the direction to do SMTP level operations since the response is
established and the design resolves all SMTP technical (and legal)
expectations. Nonetheless, DKIM, as a payload solution, there will be
operations in post smtp modes too. So this needs to mentioned/addressed as
well.

There is another potential issue with this approach if we get to a dedicated
RR type.  While not an issue when using TXT, there are resolvers that will
fail to respond when queried with an unknown RR type (no I don't know which
one, just that it happens).

In this case if the verifier defers based on lack of response, it may be
indefinite.

Scott K