Re: [ietf-dkim] Trust Annotation Support

2006-04-25 12:07:18
On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:51:44AM -0700, Douglas Otis wrote:
Trust annotation could highlight a message or place it into a special
folder, for example.

Not all sources within a domain are equally vetted.

Increased use of sub-domains may weaken DKIM as a trust mechanism;
which domain name should be trusted?

So given this as a parent domain:

example.com

and these as subdomains of the parent domain:

transactional
admin
system
bulk

which one should be trusted? I'd say none.

Well vetted sources can be indicated by the signer with some type of
notation or semaphore.

Signer trust semaphores should be coupled with the signature.

<snip the rest>

I do like this semaphore/opaque token idea. I think it answers Laura
Mathers' question (at the sender authentication summit) about MUA's
showing only quoted parts.

--
:: Jeff Macdonald | Principal Engineer, Messaging Technologies
:: e-Dialog | jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com