Re: [ietf-dkim] dkim-base: _domainkey vs _dkim

2006-04-26 10:21:59

On Apr 26, 2006, at 9:25 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:

Doug,
I know many don't like being so 1970ish, but to conserve DNS payload space, here is one example. Introducing this change when going to the binary key seems like a good choice.

While in principle I agree with you - in fact I was looking at ways to compress other components of the record, I think we have to be careful not to go too far down the line - the real boundary is 512 bytes. That gets us easily to key sizes of 2048 and probably 3072 if desired. 4096 is just not an option without either going to TCP or EDNS0, no matter the key size. My point is I think this might be a bit of over-optimizing. I would be more interested in making the record easier to parse, but even here I'm not too concerned.

It seems a shame to waste 5 bytes that offer no information. The down side is such a change in the label may mean delegating two zones when transitioning to the binary key. The immediate concern is key sizes of 2048 bits where every byte still matters. It will be hard to predict how quickly the 576 byte MTU with the 512 byte DNS message constraint is overcome, as this constraint is assumed in many network products. A desire to permit a diversity of applications access to this information will likely make these RRs perhaps the last able to overcome message size constraints.

Another area to conserve space is use of a binary algorithm number as normally used, rather than expressing algorithms as a text string. The use of text strings will be problematic when also expressed as a binary value in a key. Without an ability to verify the algorithm the sender supports, a spoofed algorithm exploit becomes possible at each algorithm transition. While a few bytes may not seem like much, there is little to spare. Text strings for the algorithm are wasted bytes in every message, where it also becomes cumulative with respect to storage.

-Doug