Re: [ietf-dkim] Body Length mechanism rejections

2006-04-28 15:34:27

On Apr 28, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Mark Delany wrote:

,---
|3.4.5  Body Length Limits
| Note that verifiers MAY choose to reject or truncate messages that
| have body content beyond that specified by the body length count.
'___

change to:

: Note that verifiers MAY choose to truncate messages that have body
: content beyond that specified by the body length count.

Is this meaning to say that a verifier can't reject a mail if the length mis-matches?

A DKIM compliant verifier should not reject messages using this mechanism when information has been appended. This situation will likely occur down stream from the initial transmitting MTA. According to the DKIM draft, verification of messages having the l= parameter still retains a valid signature. An entity appending information to a DKIM signed message containing the l= parameter may risk having their information discarded or separately annotated, per the desires of the recipient. When the appending entity is unhappy about the how their information may be handled as a result of this mechanism, their action should be to replace such signatures with that of their own. A greater disruption will be caused by rejecting these messages, rather than discarding the offending portion of the message. Another strategy could be to include annotation that indicates the origin of the unsigned portion of the message.

That seems like something rather hard to enforce.

In some cases the message will be verified at the MUA where rejection is impractical. When the message is rejected, will an error code clarify the reason? Should the sender reattempt delivery after removing offending text? It seems prudent to avoid disruptions caused by extraneous rejections caused by _valid_ uses of a mechanism in the DKIM spec.

I also don't know the context this is in. Is it only relevant if a verify is checking l= or in all cases?

This is only about removing a recommended remedy addressing the issue where the body length has been specified and subsequently altered by appended text. If anything, at the extreme, this could be considered causing an invalid signature. Whether an invalid signature serves as a reason for rejection would be a different issue.

-Doug