Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue #1265: Signing by parent domains

2006-05-26 14:03:42
effective response at affected levels.  If a TLD used DKIM with 768
bit keys for example, that might be adequate when this domain's
messages are seldom targeted.  On the other hand, <big-
financial>.<tld> may need to react to a highly targeted attack
employing greater resources, perhaps necessitating 1024 bit keys or
greater.

This is a contract issue, not a technical issue.

There is a significant reduction in security in this
regard when parent signing is permitted.

That's simply untrue.  A malicious or incompetent parent can make
arbitrary changes to any of its delegated domains.  If you consider a
parent domain to be untrustworthy, its subdomains have no security
whatsoever regardless of any rules we might try to invent.

So as I said, parent signatures are quite useful and have no
disadvantages.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.