Re: [ietf-dkim] Misc. fairly minor issues

2006-07-03 00:38:17
On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 11:27:37PM +0100, Stephen Farrell wrote:

#2 3.1  Just checking. This part says: "Periods are allowed in selectors and
are component separators.  If keys are stored in DNS, the period defines
sub-domain boundaries." Does that mean that the lookup for tcd.ie's foo.bar
selector is in foo.bar_domainkey.tcd.ie? I assume so. If it means something
else then I'm confused.

first, I think you meant "foo.bar._domainkey.tcd.ie"?
Then, while "." is the DNS label separator, it is possible to have "."
within a label, but that needs proper escaping. Also, I'm not sure that
it works in all cases, although modern implementations should avoid those
pitfalls that arose from converting back and forth between wire and presentation
format in earlier days. This is similar to having one of these
firstname(_dot_)lastname(_at_)example(_dot_)org addresses in the DNS SOA RNAME
field.
Logically speaking, the "." in your example would really belong into the label.

-Peter