Re: [ietf-dkim] Misc. fairly minor issues

2006-07-04 08:25:14
On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 02:23:24PM +0000, Mark Delany wrote:

The original text could probably benefit from using more accurate DNS
terminology.

sorry, I was picking on the missing "." in "foo.bar._domainkey.tcd.ie"
just to make sure I myself didn't get it wrong.

in the Selector syntax is always interpreted as a dns label separator
as the syntax does not allow for that distinction between the two
interpretations. To do that, we would have to invent something like
"foo.bar"._domainkey syntax to mean that "foo.bar" is a single dns
label or maybe foo\.bar._domainkey.

Well, I don't think there's a new invention necessary, just a clarification
whether or not the selector makes up a single label. To me it looks
cleaner from the protocol POV to go for a single label, while there
are operational counterarguments.

That seems ugly and unnecessary - especially since DKIM already
imposed constraints on the contents of labels, this seems like another
acceptable constraint.

A word of clarification might be helpful here.

-Peter