Re: [ietf-dkim] +1 on requirements for ssp-like-thing

2006-07-12 13:09:20

On Jul 12, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:

I'm not sure that Dave Crocker and I are in full agreement, but it's close enough that it should make people worry. Even though I've been thinking about SSP for a long, long time (IIM had the same concepts), it's not entirely clear to me that we know what problems we're trying to solve or whether they're worth solving.

As far as I can tell, there are only a couple that have some obvious constituencies:

1) I sign everything, for some value of everything
2) I don't send email at all.

All of the others are rather debatable -- and have been often. What would be good, I think, is to actually have problem statement for each new need for policy/practices advertisement, who would use it, why they would use it etc. The current draft, IMO, has too much of a "if you build it they will come" flavor to it, and most especially with respect to the "third party" stuff which I don't sense there's any real agreement on what it mean, or what problem it actually solves. In fact, I'm fairly certain as
current specified, the "-"  solves nobody's problems.

The policy/name-path approach provides two advantages:

1) Reduce grey-list exceptions when the OA != signing domain.
2) Improve status of messages where OA != signing domain, but where a signing domain is authorized by the OA domain.

A small enterprise could utilize a major provider's DKIM signing by posting domains a domain list (similar to PTR RRs) they authorize for signing their messages. A copy of the provider's public key still requires administrative arrangements or delegations, which complicates key management and increases the related expenses. In addition to reducing the management of the keys, the path name would offer a defensive strategy permitting selective delays be injected when associations are not obvious, and where the source has not sent sufficient legitimate traffic to become white-listed. A delay may be vital for block-listing for replay abuse, for example. These name path lists can be declared open/closed/shut to cover the "basic" constituencies (large one-name domains) while also improving upon the applicability of DKIM for smaller entities. This could be done with a new type of PTR RR that has a 16 bit field for binary assertion flags, and a host name field. Currently, two or three bits could cover today's current states related to DKIM. Two bits of the policy field might define the RRset to be open/closed/shut.

-Doug

_______________________________________________ NOTE WELL: This list operates according to http://mipassoc.org/dkim/ietf-list-rules.html