Re: [ietf-dkim] drop requirement to sign "From" or other "originator" headers?

2006-07-13 14:56:38
Eric Allman wrote:
I've heard some discussion the last couple of days that we should drop
the MUST for signing originator headers and Resent-* blocks, since
this isn't an interoperability issue (but is perhaps a usefulness
issue).  This is, in some sense, dictating policy instead of being
confined to mechanism, which we've been assiduously avoiding.  Viewed
that way, it seems inappropriate to have this requirement.

Of course, a verifier would be completely within reason to ignore
signatures that didn't sign the From header, but that's up to them.

If we can get a very quick consensus I can get this into base-04
(which is going to be submitted today come hell or high water --- oh
wait, that was Dallas).  It seems consistent with the other changes
we've been making, which is why I have some small hope we can get this
through in just a couple of hours.

Thoughts?

If we do this, there needs to be some strongly-worded but non-normative
guidance that reminds people that if they want their signature to be
useful, there are some header fields they really ought to sign,
including From, Subject, Date, and probably Sender (the latter on
account of Outlook clients).  Otherwise, the signature really doesn't
mean much, and if the verifier does something like remove unsigned
header fields, the recipient is going to see a lot of blanks.

In other words, it doesn't need to be a normative MUST because not
signing From doesn't break the protocol.  Whether it's a normative
SHOULD, a should (note lower case) or a non-normative note I'm not sure.

-Jim