Re: [ietf-dkim] The key record upgrade attack

2006-08-04 08:01:46
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

From: Stephen Farrell [mailto:stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie]

My issue with this is that I don't see why this is much different
from:

Everyone supports rsa-sha256

Alice publishes:

1. The policy statement 'I always sign'
2. A key record for algorithm rsa-sha256

Mallet can produce a forgery of a message by Alice that is 100% certain to be considered in compliance with policy - the signature value just won't verify.

The difference is that a signature that does not verify is treated as if it was
not present and thus the message is not in compliance with policy.

Verifiers must be able to treat the following conditions differently:
  "There is a signature here that I cannot verify"
  "There is a signature here that fails the verification process I support"

What the attack does is to convert the policy Alice intends to express "I always provide a
signature that you can validate" into "I always provide a signature but you may not be
able to check it". That is a crucial difference.

I probably haven't had enough coffee yet, but what would a receiver do
differently with that knowledge? In the end is looks like the recever can't
verify the signature regardless of the reason so it's as good as missing from
its standpoint.

      Mike