[ietf-dkim] Re: Signalling DKIM support before DATA

2006-08-08 12:59:06
Douglas Otis wrote:

Use a host-name convention.  This would be apparent at the
EHLO without requiring negotiations.  In essences,
_dkim.mx01.example.com makes an assurance that:
  1) this host-name will authenticate
  2) a DKIM client policy can be applied

Some minimal negotiation might be still necessary, the server
could reject the underscore in the EHLO as 2821 syntax error,
based on "sub-domain = Let-dig [Ldh-str]", an underscore is no
<Let-dig>.  Depending on how the server does this the client
might have to start the conversation from scratch.

Hang on, now I see that your example says _dkim.mx01.example,
is it the server using an underscore, in MX records ?  Or in
the greeting ?  It's not that I'm against any "updates: 2821",
but I'd like to know if it's the direction you talk about.

Frank