Re: [ietf-dkim] Signalling DKIM support before DATA

2006-08-08 21:32:02

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" To: "Scott Kitterman"

The way to do this (if it should be done) would be to use
the SMTP extension mechanism.

For example. Define a command option SDATA, Reciever advertises
it in response to EHLO, sender uses it to present signed data
in place of DATA.

Might be a better implementation but the point is we should use
the SMTP extension mechanism not invent our own.

I think that is what Scott had in mind.

On a related note, early this year, I had written an I-D that address future
PAYLOAD based technology considerations in this area, but never published
it:

SMTP Service Extension for Command HEAD
http://isdg.net/public/ietf/drafts/draft-santos-smtphead-00.txt
http://isdg.net/public/ietf/drafts/draft-santos-smtphead-00.html