Re: [ietf-dkim] issue: requirement #10 Publishing Hashing (cryptographic algorithms) methods...

2006-08-09 11:55:14

----- Original Message -----
From: "Douglas Otis" <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org>
To: "Hector Santos" <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>

SMTP is not an end-to-end protocol.  The store-and-forward
feature of SMTP means _any_ email-address may not be the
final destination for a message.

As far as the initial author concern it is.  You are referring to
a relay forwarding of an email address to another address. But to get to
this node, the initial path did reach its destination.  The author had no
clue that a forwarding of the address would be taken place.

Same wave length?

If so, a DKIM verify domain who would be receiving an email targeted for its
MDA would verify the message, and need be, then forward it hopefully to
another DKIM ready domain.

This may create a exploitable conflict for generating bounces, or may
cause important messages, where added security matters, to be lost or
rejected.

For this particular item,  how so?  An example of an exploit would be nice.

I personally see this as a "highly desirable" feature that would
add a few stars to a software package.  I also see this as
something very desirable in a social, vendor or business network.

The final destination of a message must be considered unknown.

See above.

I am not sure Doug if you were describing a new solution or explaining why
it won't work.

I just need to see why it won't work.

---
HLS