RE: [ietf-dkim] Delegating responsibility: a make vs. buy design decision

2006-08-21 12:25:01
Paul's note further convinces me that the correct semantics for SSP are not
'the message will be signed' but rather 'there will be a DKIM header'

The difference between the two is that adding a DKIM header need not mean the
same thing as signing the message. A DKIM header might simply specify a
selector for a key record that 1) specifies the NULL algorithm 2) some form of
restrictions on use.

Such a use would fully address the third party policy concerns raised.

   *    The sender would choose the from address, insert the NULL key record
with the relevant selector.

   *    The Third Party sender would sign the message themselves and add in a
NULL DKIM header for the selector specified by the sender.

   *    Receivers would note that the email is compliant with the sender policy
and that the Third Party Sender claims responsibility.

In this scheme everything works fine. The semantics of the policy language are
simple but effective. There is no need for crypto to be exchanged between the
parties unless they want to. The complexity is kept out of the policy record,
everything is in the key record.

The optimum semantics remain 'there will be a DKIM header with a selector of
the form *.xyz.example.com'