Re: [ietf-dkim] SSP and mailing lists

2006-09-11 19:28:07

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Atkins" <steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com>
To: "IETF DKIM WG" <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>

I can see that now being added to our list server product during the
subscriber process so that the owner doe not get embroiled in damaging
signatures, thus helping the domain protect themselves.

I'm hearing what sounds like a lot of FUD. Could you expand on
the details of what you perceive as a "damaging signature"?

No FUD.

Just look at all the signed DKIM messages in this IETF-DKIM list.  They are
damaged DKIM signed messages. 100% failures!

No FUD.

Now, if this list server was DKIM-Ready, as suggested in the DSAP proposal,
it can take pre-emptive steps to deny restrictive domains from subscribing
to the list or atleast send a warning to the subscribing email address
saying any Signed Mail will be damage due to the MLS behavior to alter the
integrity of the message.

See section 3.3 in DSAP-00

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dkim/draft-santos-dkim-dsap-00.txt

 3.3.  Mailing List Servers

 Mailing List Servers (MLS) applications who are compliant with DKIM
 and DSAP operations, SHOULD adhere to the following guidelines:

   Subscription Controls

    MLS subscription processes should perform a DSAP check to
    determine if a subscribing email domain DSAP policy is restrictive
    in regards to mail integrity changes or 3rd party signatures.  The
    MLS SHOULD only allow original domain policies who allow 3rd party
    signatures.

   Message Content Integrity Change

    List Servers which will alter the message content SHOULD only do
    so for original domains with optional DKIM signing practices and
    it should remove the original signature if present.  If the List
    Server is not going to alter the message, it SHOULD NOT remove the
    signature, if present.