[ietf-dkim] Re: New Issue: ssp-requirements-01 // Negative Commentary corrections

2006-09-21 00:18:36
Douglas Otis wrote:

The process of validating an email-address is common place
and done by thousands of applications from mailing-list
mangers, the assignment of email-certificates, or granting
access to web-sites.

NAK, that's far from common, from four mail providers I used
to know only one enforced submission rights (=> good reverse
path, arbitrary header), and another - putting it mildly -
implemented his own vision of 4409 8.1 (=> good reverse path
with enforced matching 2822-From), offering the more common
"whatever you say" for a small monthly fee (maybe to sponsor
their abuse desk).

The third doesn't care what I say after I'm authenticated with
LOGIN (in the clear, their TLS is optional), and the fourth
also doesn't care (pure RADIUS), but runs now a spam check on
outbound mail.

BTW, I'm looking for interested folks helping to fix RFC 4409
8.1, and then push a derived 4409bis to STD (see rfc822 list).

Frank