RE: Issue 1382 (was: Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: New resource record type)

2006-10-16 11:12:55
I am very unhappy with the past behavior of the DNS directorate. In particular
they have in the past demonstrated a complete failure to accept the fact that
protocols have to be compatible with deployment constraints.

DNSSEC has been delayed at least five years due to arguments over the
importance of deployment constraints. This is not a community that is
sufficiently in touch with reality to be relied on.

There is no point in accepting a boat anchor being added to the protocol for
the sake of getting through IESG review. At the end of the day the IESG review
has much less importance than the deployability of the protocol.

In particular nobody seems to have noticed the apparent loss of interest in
DKIM from a certain party that happens to have one of the DNS servers that
would be most affected by the proposal. I am rather more concerned about that
than the opinion of the IESG as predicted by the DNS Directorate.

There should be a registry of prefixes for the simple reason that this is now
the way that the DNS is extended in practice. There is in fact such a registry,
if the IETF does not act it will end up the defacto registry.