Re: [ietf-dkim] 1365, with a question about the "we never send mail"

2006-10-16 12:40:21
+1

Sorry.. no time to reitterate what has already been said.

Regards,
Damon Sauer

On 10/14/06, Scott Kitterman <ietf-dkim(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Thursday 12 October 2006 14:51, DKIM Chair wrote:

> That left issue 1365, with a question about the "we never send mail"
> issue.  The initial proposal was to remove the text, considering it to
> be a special case of "strict", but when Doug opened that back on the
> list there was significant support to keep it.  I'll put that back out
> to the list now (please put the issue number in the subject line): If
> you object to leaving it in, please say so and say why.

I think that being able to express 'we never send mail' is important.

There is already one way to express this defined as part of an experimental
protocol in RFC 4408 that has significant deployment.  While that is a
controversial protocol in general, I do not think that most of the
controversy applies to domains that send no mail.  That one piece could be
broken out in a separate draft without carrying forward the aspects of the
experimental protocol that some find problematic.

Instead of defining yet another way to express the same thing (which may at
least be arguably outside the charter of the group), an alternative approach
might be for this working group to punt 'we never send mail' back to the
AD/IESG (I'm still hazy on lots of IETF process, so forgive me if that's the
wrong direction) with a recommendation that this is something the group feels
will support receivers in evaluating DKIM signed mail, but that the group
felt was better addressed elsewhere.

Scott K