Re: [ietf-dkim] Comments on draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-requirements-02.txt

2006-10-24 07:15:53

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Your restatement of my point misses the point entirely:

IF there is a signature that the recipient can use
I think you mean "IF there was ever a ..."
THEN the recpient should know that there is such a signature
and s/is such a/was ever such a/

But why? The consensus we have now is that the recipient
alone is able to figure what signatures it can use and that
that's enough. You've not explained why this is insufficient
(or I'm just even dumber than usual;-).

If this condition is not met an attacker can perform upgrade and downgrade
attacks in which the attacker attaches a bogus signature.

What's the problem with this attack that differs from the
the attacker just flipping one bit of a real, acceptable
signature? I don't see it.

S.