Re: Fwd: Re: [ietf-dkim] Introducing myself

2006-12-07 03:58:08
Charles Lindsey wrote:
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:58:41 -0000, Stephen Farrell <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:

My concern is that people will tend not to implement stuff that is not in the base standard. And any c14n has to be implemented at both ends in order to be of any use.

Speaking for myself, I can almost guarantee you, from on my long held mail product design philosophical and ethical standpoint, we are not going to implement anything that will require us to a) touch the original mail integrity of the message and b) more importantly anything that will require us to 'bring apart' a MIME message for the purpose of DKIM signing.

This pretty much a non-starter for us. DKIM is not going to be the "thing" that will change our product design in screwing around with original mail integrity. The exception is any CR/LF conversion on original submissions, but in principle passthrus will never will never be touched, altered or whatever any in shape or form and I hope others don't begin get into this dangerous game as well. I have confident this is not going to happen.

Please excuse me for asking this, but are you attempting to develop a "total product solution" with far reaching change requirements across the board or a backend protocol that fits with the current framework as best it can, yet offers the highest adoption potential?

---
HLS