[Fwd: Re: [ietf-dkim] canonicalized null body and dkim]

2006-12-15 11:22:49
Tony Hansen wrote:
(Sorry for the truncated message previously. I hit "send" accidentally.)

You're missing this statement:

   "In more formal terms, the "simple" body canonicalization algorithm
    converts "0*CRLF" at the end of the body to a single "CRLF"."

This states *how* the blank lines at the end of the message are to be
discarded.

FWIW, this problem was similarly discovered in DK. The early text read:

-01
   o All trailing empty lines are ignored. An empty line is a line of
      zero length after removal of the local line terminator. The
      empty line that separates the header from the body is a to be
      included in this process.

and the later text read:

-06
    o All trailing empty lines are ignored. An empty line is a line of
      zero length after removal of the local line terminator.

      If the body consists entirely of empty lines, then the
      header/body line is similarly ignored.

In short, if the last empty line of the email is the header/body separator, then it should not be fed into the canonicalization.

The "simple" in DKIM, as I understand it, is merely re-codifying the
same function.

Mark.