Re: [Fwd: Re: [ietf-dkim] canonicalized null body and dkim]

2006-12-15 12:13:46

--On December 15, 2006 10:17:16 AM -0800 Mark Delany <markd+dkim(_at_)yahoo-inc(_dot_)com> wrote:

FWIW, this problem was similarly discovered in DK. The early text
read:

-01
    o All trailing empty lines are ignored. An empty line is a line
of
       zero length after removal of the local line terminator. The
       empty line that separates the header from the body is a to be
       included in this process.

and the later text read:

-06
     o All trailing empty lines are ignored. An empty line is a
line of
       zero length after removal of the local line terminator.

       If the body consists entirely of empty lines, then the
       header/body line is similarly ignored.

In short, if the last empty line of the email is the header/body
separator, then it should not be fed into the canonicalization.

The "simple" in DKIM, as I understand it, is merely re-codifying the
same function.

I *think* there are three cases here:

(1) Some body with l=0. I think we're agreed that this should result in an empty input into the hash algorithm.

(2) Header, CRLF, no body; that is, the input to a DATA would be:

       Header: foobar<CRLF>
       <CRLF>
       <CRLF>.<CRLF>

The last line of the example is the separator, so the initial CRLF doesn't count.

(3) Header, no CRLF, no body:

       Header: foobar<CRLF>
       <CRLF>.<CRLF>

It seems to me that all three of these should match after canonicalization. I'm not sure the -07 draft is explicit enough to ensure this.

In short, I'm not sure we have guarantied DK compatibility based on the current wording, regardless of intent.

eric