Re: [ietf-dkim] Base issue: multiple linked signatures

2007-01-03 03:57:33
On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 16:48:59 -0000, John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>
wrote:

 I would support some gentler language that permits use of z= in
verification, with particular attention paid to ensuring that a new
security vulnerability is not introduced.

So I still think our decision to stay away from the whole thing was
correct.  Either it's the same message and the signature verifies, or
it's not.  I suppose we could tell people that it's OK to use z= as
part of the process of deciding what to do with a message whose
signature didn't verify, but that process is outside the scope of the
spec.

I agree, except that we didn't 'stay away' :-( . Verifiers may develop all sorts of strategies for deciding which failed signatures are in fact safe to let proceed. Our documents can suggest strategies, but should not try to enforce or forbid them. So it is within out scope to the extent that we should think about it to the extent necessary to avoid unnecessary restrictions.

So by all means point out that 'z=' was intended for diagnostic use, but MUST language forbidding other uses is too strong, since again no interoperability issue arises.

My solution would be for the modifier to sign the message after
modification.

But not always practical (e.g. after an EAI downgrade).

Tel: +44 161 436 6131     Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.