Re: [ietf-dkim] New IANA considerations: standards track or just RFC?

2007-01-23 17:27:39
Paul Hoffman wrote:
Greetings again. One significant change in the new draft is the addition in Section 7 of "In all cases, new values are assigned only for Standards Track RFCs approved by the IESG." This change came at the request of Cullen Jennings, an AD. In that request, he says "Glad to talk about pros and cons of this", so I am Cc'ing him on this thread.

This change precludes IANA from registering values for IESG-approved Experimental RFCs, or IESG-approved independently-submitted Informational RFCs. Normally, "standards track only" is used in protocols where there is a limited-size namespace, and "RFC only" is used in places where namespace size is not a concern but there is a desire for a stable, long-lived reference for every entry in the namespace.

Maybe we want "RFC only", not "standards track only", particularly so that people can create Experimental RFCs and have them be used in an interoperable fashion as a way of determining whether they should later be elevated to standards track.

I generally agree with "RFC only", but haven't thought about all eight of the registries that -base asks to have created. It's not clear that we want to do this with all of them. For example, we might want to set a higher bar for the signature or hash algorithm than for creation of a new signature tag.

-Jim