RE: [ietf-dkim] Issue 1386 and downgrade attacks

2007-02-28 14:31:49
I'm not seeing Dave saying that at all. So far as I can tell, he and everyone else believes in gradual transitions such as the one you cite.

I think he *is* saying that we have no experience with a nightmare scenario where some basic algorithm such as RSA is cracked --- not theoretically or in unlikely cases, such as with SHA-1 --- but really really dead in the water cracked. If we had to switch from 40-bit to 128-bit in a matter of a couple of days it wouldn't go smoothly. And I agree that building in something to handle this sort of scenario almost certainly isn't worth it.

eric