Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Use of LWSP in ABNF -- consensus call

2007-05-15 11:28:53

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Removing features that have proved to be a Bad Idea has always been listed as one of the possible changes from Proposed to Draft - Draft to Full happens so rarely that I would be hesitant to claim that there's tradition for such changes there.

The question is the "proved to be" criterion.

The consensus call was triggered by one documented problem in 10 years. We've had a posting claiming one additional problem (although my own recollection of that bit of history was the the list construct was the issue, rather than LWSP.)

So that is a total of at most 2 documented cases in 10-30 years.

And keep in mind that the issue is not that the rule "does not work" but that it is very rarely mis-used.

Were we to deprecate every feature in IETF specifications that get mis-implemented a couple of times over 10 years, I suspect much of our technology would be deprecated...

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking