[ietf-dkim] Re: Step 9

2007-09-27 16:01:01
The key words here are Verifier Acceptable.  The verifier gets to
specify which signatures are Verifier Acceptable, which gives it
precisely the liberty you describe.

-Jim

Michael Thomas wrote:
Step 9 of the SSP lookup algorithm sez:

  9.   If the value of the SSP "dkim" tag is "all", and one or more
       Verifier Acceptable Third-Party Signatures are present on the
       message, the message is not Suspicious and the algorithm
       terminates.

I don't see the motivation for this, and it's definitely not in the
requirements. A
receiver is always completely at liberty to whitelist, blacklist,
greylist,
pink-polka-dotted-list a third party signature regardless of what the
originating
domains says. What unique value does a signer bring to an across the
board
statement about all third party signatures? I can't think of a single
use case that I'd
alter processing based on that information.

      Mike

Jim Fenton wrote:
The list has been uncharacteristically silent since I submitted an
update to the SSP draft 10 days ago, so I thought I'd point out the new
draft (draft-ietf-dkim-ssp-01) and a few of the highlights (more
complete info on the changes are in section B.1).

The most significant change is a new tag, called "handling", that
represents what I called the SSP "Strong" Option in my presentation at
IETF 69.  As I mentioned at the time, we needed a better word than
"strong", and this is what Eric and I came up with.  It takes one of two
values:  "process", the default, means to do what you would normally do
with a message that is Suspicious.  "block" is a way for a domain to
express the preference that messages violating SSP be dealt with more
harshly, such as by deleting, bouncing, or rejecting them.

Section 5, "Third-party Signatures and Mailing Lists", has been removed
since it belongs better in the Overview document(s).  Note to overview
authors:  hint, hint.

Most of the other changes in the document, which are numerous, are to
tighten up the wording rather than to introduce anything new or
different.  For example, when user-granularity SSP was in the document,
SSP applied to an "entity" which was either a user or a domain.  the
word "domain" is sufficient, and clearer, now.

Comments appreciated as always!

-Jim