[ietf-dkim] Re: t=y

2007-11-09 10:27:56
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Hector Santos wrote:
- A testing attribute should used for Migration ideas, by it its very natural definition, a testing attribute is limited in scope and time.

We actually have to say that, i.e. define "testing", in an RFC?

- Not having any guidelines on how VERIFIERS will deal with perpetual failures, especially those with a testing attribute, is a problem.

Why?

I don't see why this is not understood.

Conversely, I don't see why you think it's obvious.

Therefore, its going to be ignored just like in other similar ideas with testing attributs, or the worst case is that it will exploited and used to reject mail.

How can one exploit a test mode which is already explicitly telling verifiers, "This may or may not work, don't trust the results"?

I guess if a DOMAIN addres t=y, then it really doesn't care what is the deposition of the message. After all, its only a test.

Precisely.

My recommendation is basically spell out that no one should depend on it and that no one should use it over extended periods.

See my first comment above.

Finally, yes, I agree, it does have some reporting ideas behind it, but it still a LIMITED IN TIME concept. It can't be a persistent t=y issue. One day, CISCO.COM will have to remove its t=y attribute from its policy.

I'd bet real money that they will.

Thats all.  It really isn't that hard.

We certainly agree there.

-MSK