[ietf-dkim] Import of normative text in a standards-track specification

2007-12-10 09:36:26

Michael Thomas wrote:
  said, there's a fair amount of Orwell floating around about
  making a request into a command without benefit of royalty.

There are two problems with the attempt to dismiss the import of the specification's style of directing receive-side behavior:

1. Specification is specification

When a document has normative language that directs behavior, it directs behavior. While the difference among may, must, and should is intended to be significant, we have no empirical basis for knowing exactly what difference they have among implementers and operators. We certainly have no empirical basis for knowing the impact of a normative assertion in a specification like SSP, because SSP is operates in a semantic realm for which the IETF has no precedent.

2. IETF standard-track status carries its own level of force. When an IETF standard-track specification calls for a behavior, its impact depends upon basic adoption of the specification. That is, the mere presence of approval lends weight to every aspect of the document's content. While one or another working group participant might impart more or less casualness to the language, we need to consider what average readers will see, in the context of basic standardization. We need to particularly consider this for normative language that pertains to basic mechanisms within SSP. For example, if the reader imparts any credibility to the handling directives at all, they are pretty much forced to treat the MAY as, at least, a SHOULD.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking