Re: [ietf-dkim] Draft summary of SSP functionality -v2

2007-12-11 08:11:36

Dave Crocker wrote:
IMO its in-between.

What does that mean?  What portions or aspects of it qualify as
'non-technical marketing'?

I assume its aimed at a less technical audience.

Yes. That's why I'd rather that we focus on the document, not on
external text. If you were proposing new text for the introduction
then it'd be right on the mark, as-is, I worry that it'll be
distracting.

I'll repeat:  You have a working group that has demonstrated a widely
divergent understanding of what SSP is.  That tends to undermine claims
of real working group consensus.

You ought to welcome an exercise that could facilitate convergence of
basic points.

Sure. If you wanted to recast the text as an alternative to the
current introduction of the I-D, then I'd welcome the effort.

Right, now I don't think that working on two different descriptions
of the same thing on the same list is a good idea.

The second point should makes it useful for me to gather comments from
this list, before I circulate a purportedly factual description of SSP
to others.

Fair enough to do that, after we have WG consensus. For now, its
a little premature.

You think that formulating a summary statement of facts, after a couple
of years of effort and just before Last Call is somehow premature,
particularly when the lack of working group consensus on core decisions
seems pretty evident?

I think that writing such external text would be much more likely
to be useful (and lead to a more a accurate result) after we've
processed the issue in our tracker.

S.