Re: [ietf-dkim] Draft summary of SSP functionality -v2

2007-12-11 09:54:18

Stephen Farrell wrote:

Dave Crocker wrote:
IMO its in-between.
What does that mean?  What portions or aspects of it qualify as
'non-technical marketing'?

I assume its aimed at a less technical audience.

I do not know why you assume that.

It's aimed at participants in this working group and non-participants. All are intended to be technical, such as the broad audience of email anti-spam operators.

Yes. That's why I'd rather that we focus on the document, not on
external text. If you were proposing new text for the introduction
then it'd be right on the mark, as-is, I worry that it'll be
distracting.
I'll repeat:  You have a working group that has demonstrated a widely
divergent understanding of what SSP is.  That tends to undermine claims
of real working group consensus.

You ought to welcome an exercise that could facilitate convergence of
basic points.

Sure. If you wanted to recast the text as an alternative to the
current introduction of the I-D, then I'd welcome the effort.

The goals of an Introduction and a Technical Design Summary are different. The working group has done an excellent job of demonstrating its need for the latter.

Right, now I don't think that working on two different descriptions
of the same thing on the same list is a good idea.

They aren't "different".  They should be complementary.

I think that writing such external text would be much more likely
to be useful (and lead to a more a accurate result) after we've
processed the issue in our tracker.

Let's wait until we are done before having any summary text that we can circulate broadly for feedback about the work?

Interesting model of public vetting.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker