Re: [ietf-dkim] Re: Issue #1512: Re: making SSP useless in one short step

2007-12-11 13:31:33
John L wrote:
SPP bankofamerica.com p=strict

From: loans(_at_)bankofamerica(_dot_)com
Subject: Get a great rate today!

You'd accept the message?

That depends on what I think of dkim.mit.edu. If they had a history of sending good mail, sure. If not, probably not.

I don't know about others, but you can't base a world wide open standard protocol based on these extremely subjective isolated decisions, and thats even if YOU have a clue as well of who they are, which most of the time, you won't.

It's probably worth reminding people yet again that the point of DKIM is to reliably tie a message to a domain, so you can use that domain's reputation to evaluate the mail.

So without Reputation, is DKIM useless? Is this part of the DKIM-BASE specification? Hmmmmmm, I think I did see a reference to that assertion some where... oh yeah, the off-list engineered Deployment draft entrenched with reputation considerations and hardly none for SSP:

   2.5. Filtering Software

   Unless a scheme can correlate the DKIM signature with accreditation
   or reputation data, the presence of a DKIM signature SHOULD be
   ignored.

Mind boggling!  It only makes you wonder why we have such a conflict here.

> SSP doesn't change that.

SSP != REPUTATION

--
Sincerely