Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue #1520: limiting SSP to statements that inform recipient about (potential) signer actions

2007-12-13 08:07:36

Jim Fenton wrote:
Dave Crocker wrote:
1.  We seem to be seeing inconsistency between whether SSP is
providing information about potential signers, versus whether it is
directing the behavior of receivers.  ("providing guidance" is giving
direction.)
SSP is clearly providing information about the use of DKIM by domains. It is also allowing those domains to express their preference about the
handling of mail that purports to come from them.  The intent in this
latter regard is that domains are encouraged to do as requested by the
alleged originating domain, but that they are compliant with the
specification even if they choose not to do so.

Jim, you might want to review various postings about this. Please note postings from your colleagues who seem to disagree with your position, since they are claiming that SSP is merely providing information and they take exception to characterizations that it seeks to direct actions. ("Expressing preference about the handling" sounds nicely distant, but it is seeking to direct actions.)

2. RFC 2597 specifies actions relative to packets that are from the
specifier of the actions.  SSP is about messages that the specifier
has not issued.

True, but I consider that just a characteristic of the different use
cases between SSP and Diffserv.

Please point to the relevant diffserv text, so we can compare the details.

3. RFC 2597 has been at Proposed Standard for 8 years.  Can you point
to some deployment discussion, so that we can see how broadly it has
been deployed and how well it works?

The point is that RFC 2597 is an IETF standards-track document,

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was not trying to ask about legal precedents. I was trying to ask about demonstrated success scenarios.

Lots of IETF protocols fail. Although the fact that the IETF has put something forward might be interesting, but it does not prove anything about utility.

 and an
example of a protocol which seeks to direct the behavior of receivers
(to use your terminology).  It does this with considerably more forceful
language than the SSP draft currently uses.

When you point to the relevant language, we can evaluate just how similar its assumption, models, and directives are.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking