Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Do we need SSP record for DKIM=unknown?

2007-12-23 16:50:31
Jim Fenton wrote:
> Hector,
>
> Publishing an SSP record with the default values results in better
> caching, because a positive result typically has a longer TTL than a
> negative result, whose TTL which is the minimum TTL of the zone.  With
> the current lookup algorithm, it also relieves the verifier of the
> need to confirm the domain's existence, since without an SSP
> record the result of the query will frequently be an NXDOMAIN.
>
> -Jim

Thanks Jim.

Please correct me if I wrong, it would then be "Recommended" for DKIM domains to consider using a SSP record even if the domain intent is to operate in DKIM-BASE mode? So even if the DOMAIN has no intention to use the benefits of SSP beyond its default behavior, it SHOULD create a SSP record in order to be DNS friendly and cooperative with verifiers with SSP support? Is this idea stated or implied in the SSP-01 specs?

On a related note, I didn't want to bring this up before but I think it might be something of interest.

With the goals of reducing redundancy, complexing and improving SSP adoptability, would it be feasible to consider for SSP restrictive policies only that a DKIM domain MAY expose its policy via the DKIM-BASE key record?

IOW, if a high value domain's only desire or interest in SSP is to expose restrictive handling, would it make sense to write a RFC 4871 "add-on" or "Extension" I-D or using the opportunity now to write directly into the SSP specification the proposal of a new DKIM tag that exposes strict or all domain DKIM transaction information?

The idea is this:

     Optional extended DKIM key tag:  SSP=strict|all

For example, following SSP-01

   1.   If a valid Originator Signature exists, the message is not
        Suspicious, and the algorithm terminates.

This means that the signature was verified via DKIM-BASE. It also means the DKIM key record was obtained and all information points to a 1st party signature.

As I recall during the TA review process, I believe we all agreed that in lieu of an internal key theft, there would be no realistic external protocol model threat here with a 1st party valid signature. So it was safe to conclude that a SSP lookup would not be required for a valid 1st party signature.

Continuing beyond step 1 implies we the following states:

   a) valid 3rd party signature,
   b) no signature (which can be from a broken signature)

So step 2 and 3 deals with the SSP discovery process.

My proposal is this:

We can reduce step 2 and 3 or short circuits the steps if the DKIM key record obtained in step 1 contained the SSP policy information.

So in step 1, we can add a sub-steps:

  1a) If we have a valid 3rd party signature or no signature, and
      the key record contains a tag SSP=strict, then the message
      is Suspicious and the algorithm terminates.

  1b) If we have no signature, and the key record contains
      a tag  SSP=ALL, then the message is Suspicious
      and the algorithm terminates.

The whole point is that under strict DKIM/SSP operations there is only one party involved and no other party or unsigned messages are expected and under the ALL policy, there is only 1 state the message can be in - a signed state.

In both cases, we short circuit the need to do a SSP discovery by adding an optional DKIM-BASE SSP= tag option to DKIM-BASE key records. I believe RFC are allowed to update other RFCs, and this would be a good opportunity to close some complex interface issues regarding DKIM-BASE and SSP.

If no SSP= tag is found, then the verifier would proceed with the current recommended steps.

A point to consider is that the proposal deals a Negative Classification only, hence bad guys will not have any incentive to exploit.

Off hand, I don't see a threat here. So if you see a flaw here, please show me the light :-)

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com