[ietf-dkim] New Issue: Do we need SSP record for DKIM=unknown?

2007-12-22 16:11:55
Eliot Lear wrote:

Please don't expect to see new issues opened until after the 2nd.

Before the holiday spirits do further damage to my brain cells, I
thought I should gather my thoughts on this together now and during the
interim, post this as a new issue now for preliminary list discussion
and consideration. Then maybe after the 2nd, it may or may not be an
issue to open.

New Issue: Do we need SSP record for DKIM=unknown?

Since the NO SSP record world message handling semantics is consistent
with a DKIM-BASE only world, it would be waste of DNS resources for
verifiers to do SSP lookups and the records translate to default
DKIM-BASE semantics.

The incentive for implementing SSP records is to provide a payoff for
all parties; a) the DKIM signer whose values security over delivery and
b) the DKIM verifier whose desire is to provide a higher payoff
(compared to no payoff) service that will benefit the DKIM domain, the receiver system and its users.

In addition, by removing the relaxed default SSP attributes, it will
help in reducing exploitations and fraud.  SSP should only be used to
help strengthen the domain DKIM signing process, not add any new
complexity or confusion over what the domains intentions are.

Background:

This might appear complex to explain because I do complicate it with
sub-issues which may be considered separately. So before someone suggest
that these sub-issues may be multiple separate issues, please look at
this first as a whole. My goal here is to help make SSP worthy for adoption consideration by reducing any perceived complexity about it.

Currently, SSP-01 has the following record syntax information:

  dkim       =  unknown|strict|all     default: unknown
  handling   =  process|deny           default: process
  t          =  y|s                    default: undefined

So the default DKIM-BASE behavior from a SSP point of view is:

  dkim=unknown handling=process

and this includes the idea when there is no SSP record.

Overall, we want protocol consistency in DKIM/SSP, therefore:

  - if a verifier has SSP support and performs a domain
    SSP lookup and no record is found, the above is the default
    SSP attributes.

  - Likewise, if a verifier is ignorant of SSP (early
    versions of DKIM-BASE only verifiers),  the SSP specification
    should be modeled on the idea that non-SSP verifiers will
    behave with the default SSP like attributes.

I do believe we achieve this goal here.  However, I also believe it is
redundant, can be exploited and lowers the incentive for using SSP.

To explain why, lets look at some additional sub-issues:

sub-issue: t default not "spelled out"

   I think SSP-01 should be explicit in saying no t= tag means
   the system is not testing and that all sub-domains are in play.
   This is a minor sub-issue especially since we are also considering
   removing the t=y 'testing' semantics.

sub-issue: handling=process default is ambiguous.

   The text for handling=process says:

   process  Messages which are Suspicious from this domain SHOULD
            be processed by the verifier, although the SSP
            failure MAY be considered in subsequent evaluation of
            the message.  This is the default value.

Since handling=process is the default, this is where the key new issue
for the necessity of a SSP record for DKIM=unknown comes into play.

Lets assume there is no SSP record as it realistically might be in the current and early DKIM-BASE RFC 4871 adoption period.

In this DKIM-BASE only world, the specification already makes it clear that a DKIM-BASE message should be further evaluated using additional message processing layer(s).

So in this vain, the default SSP record is redundant. The only time a SSP record is provides added value or payoff is when the domain wants a different signing verification logic than what is otherwise provided with the DKIM-BASE semantics.

Therefore, one might suggest the only necessary options for SSP might be
just:

  dkim       =  strict|all     default: all
  t          =  s              default: sub-domains allowed

Since we already have a SSP issue on the table to remove the t=y testing
option with a high consensus to remove it, this reduces the tag to a t=s only option.

Since the default DKIM-BASE semantics is to further evaluate messages,
valid or invalid, the handling=process is redundant and offers nothing
new to the model.

Conclusion:

--
Sincerely