Re: [ietf-dkim] New Issue: Do we need SSP record for DKIM=unknown?

2007-12-23 17:15:11
Small Clarification:

Hector Santos wrote:

My proposal is this:

We can reduce step 2 and 3 or short circuits the steps if the DKIM key record obtained in step 1 contained the SSP policy information.

So in step 1, we can add a sub-steps:

  1a) If we have a valid 3rd party signature or no signature, and
      the key record contains a tag SSP=strict, then the message
      is Suspicious and the algorithm terminates.

  1b) If we have no signature, and the key record contains
      a tag  SSP=ALL, then the message is Suspicious
      and the algorithm terminates.

To clarify these steps, requires the no-signature premise to be defined as one resulting from where a key record was found but the DKIM
signature verification failed.

Allow me to change the sub-steps to say:

  1a) If we have a valid 3rd party signature or no signature resulting
      from a failed DKIM-signature validation, and the key record
      contains a tag SSP=strict, then the message is Suspicious and
      the algorithm terminates.

  1b) If we have no signature resulting from a failed
      DKIM-signature validation, and the key record contains
      a tag  SSP=ALL, then the message is Suspicious and the
      algorithm terminates.

The point being is that a KEY record was obtained. We won't have a key record when they is a "true, honest to god" no signature message, so this proposal only applies when a message is "signed". When the message is truly unsigned or the key record does not has the optional SSP= tag it would continue with the step 2/3 SSP discovery process.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com